Why I've Never Kept My Blog A Secret

09:30

Why I've Never Kept My Blog A Secret
One of the main reasons I never started a blog sooner than I actually did was because I was scared. I was scared of judgement from those I knew. It wasn't of those closest to me that I was worried would judge me. I have a group of supportive people behind me who back me with whatever I decide to do. But it was more the people I used to know and those from school who knew me. I guess I was lucky in the sense that I started my blog two years after I had left school, so these people I was so worried would judge me I didn't even have to face every single day. But still I felt like these people I knew would mock me for putting my voice and myself out online for the whole world to see.

After going through depression and anxiety, I surprisingly learnt to really not give a crap about what people thought about me, because in some ways I stopped judging and caring what other people were doing. To me none of that stuff mattered anymore. I didn't have to speak nor did I have to face any of them ever again, so why did it matter if they knew or they found out and teased me for it? Surely the problem would lie with them instead of me, knowing if they did it meant they would be taking time out of their own day to judge me for something I've had the guts to do and worked bloody damn hard on!

Ever since I published my first blog post in 2015, I haven't kept my blog a secret. I've happily shared it with my closest loved ones. I don't care if people from school come across it and decide to judge it. Go ahead. Because I'm loving it and I'm not going to stop because of you. And If I meet anyone knew, I'm not afraid to be like 'hell yes I am a blogger and I have my own blog, so what?!'. If you're reading this and thinking 'oh my god, I can't bare to share my blog with anyone', then here are some reasons as to why I've never kept it a secret and they hopefully might help change your mind to pluck up the courage to just go for it....
Why I've Never Kept My Blog A Secret
Creating a blog, working hard on it every single day behind the scenes and publishing content for the world to see is something that should be congratulated. You should congratulate yourself on throwing passion into this hobby and trying to make it something you're really proud of. I'm proud of my blog. Yes, it may not be the most successful with pretty pictures, high quality writing and thousands of followers behind it, but it's my space. It's my online voice. It's what I created not for anybody else, but me and overtime it's become something which I love to share to other people. I've produced and published content that I am proud of. It's what I have achieved based entirely on my own work and dedication. I am proud of how I have grown not only online, but also offline. Blogging has helped me in so many ways. You shouldn't have to just congratulate yourself alone. Get other people involved and let them share the same admiration you have for this amazing thing you've created called your blog!

I mentioned briefly how blogging has helped me in so many ways. It's given me confidence online that I never had and confidence I am lacking in the outside world. But one area where it has helped me in the past was when I was well enough to apply for jobs. I want to potentially work in social media and digital marketing. A blog is perfect for those two areas because a blog essentially touches on some of the things that the duties someone in this career sector would carry out on a day to day basis. But it's not just the digital side of things where having your own blog looks good. Showing on your CV that you run your own blog shows a whole wide range of skills and presents to a potential employer what your interests are and how you spend your free time. It also shows experience. So don't be afraid to hide it to even those people in more higher authorities. It could benefit you greatly and help you stand out amongst other applicants!

Now you can let your loved ones celebrate with you and potential employers get a real taste of who you are, that only leaves all those people you use to know and those strangers you might potentially get to know in the future. I know it's so so so hard to not care, but seriously stop caring about what other people are going to think. It's your blog. If no one likes it or has anything nice to say about it and yourself, then don't listen to them and move on. If people can't admire you for your effort, then are they the sort of people you want in your life? If you're seriously doing what you love and enjoy it so much, then just keep on going and stay focused! Don't let someone elses opinion throw you off from what doing what you want to do. If you do meet someone who doesn't get the whole blogging thing, then try sit them down and explain it to them. If they have any sense, they'll change their mind and see just how passionate you are!

I hope this post comes across in the right way. No way am I having a go at anyone who keeps their blog a secret. I do see why people would and I don't have anything wrong with it. But I just wanted to put a point across about why I've never kept it a secret and how much happier I feel I am with blogging by just being open. I hope this does encourage you to take the plunge! It's not as scary as you may think and it will be 100% worth it :)

How open are you about having your own blog?

Lauren x

You Might Also Like

37 comments

  1. I'm so glad you wrote this because I think it's maybe given me that extra bit of courage I need. I started mine in year 11 whilst in amongst bitchy friends and I was terrified they'd find out. I finally told my mum, dad and brother after a year but am still yet to tell any friends, I guess I'm plagued by the fear of judgement. I've told myself though that when the right time comes up now I'm going to tell one of my college friends who I know will be supportive! One person at a time haha! X

    Kate// itskaterose.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm so happy to hear that! I hope you can start to open up more about your blog :) one person at a time is a great first step! Hope it goes ok xx

      Delete
  2. I love this post Lauren! there's still times when I'm anxious to share things on social media, and these worries about people judging me stop me from starting YouTube or Facebook. But I 100% agree with you, we should be proud of what we've built!
    Jen, Velvet Spring. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm so pleased you do, Jen!! I can totally relate, but sometimes you do just have to go for it. You're so right. We should be!xx

      Delete
  3. I have slowly begun sharing my blog and the positive feedback I have been getting from friends has been amazing =o) It definitely is a creative outlet for me that I love working on =o)

    dreamofadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely to hear!! I'm glad your friends have been so positive xx

      Delete
  4. Love this post!! I've finally decieded to tell people and it feels so good! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Parie!! I'm glad you like it xx

      Delete
  5. This is so true! I have thought about blogging for years but I've always been too scared as to what people will think! Now I've decided to do it, I've actually had such good feedback, I wish I did it sooner!
    love Leigh
    Www.loveleighsays.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's amazing!! So glad people have been so supportive of you xx

      Delete
  6. I totally agree with you, when I first started my blog I didn't tell anyone and was so worried someone was going to find it. But I realised that my close friends and those who I really cared about wouldn't judge me and I didn't really care about anyone else. I am so proud of my blog, and I have spent so much time on it I don't want to hide it! x

    Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the attitude to have lovely!!xx

      Delete
  7. I started blogging November 2016 and since then I haven't told anyone besides my immediate family and my close friend. I have always had a fear of what others would think but hopefully I will slowly start sharing my blog as it grows! Thanks for the inspiration!! <3

    Nicole | www.nicochulin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I've got my fingers crossed that it will work out well for you, Nicole!xx

      Delete
  8. I admire your courage. I've been blogging for years and I just started opening my blog to everyone. I don't really announce it but my link is on my Instagram. I still find it hard to share my personal posts, though.

    http://thewallflowersecrets.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Alissa! I hope you can get to a place where you feel more at ease about it xx

      Delete
  9. This i a great post and I feel like I can relate to it so much. This is the third blog I've authored and the one that I've felt most comfortable with sharing. I'm not afraid to tweet links out into the world and have 'lifestyle blogger' in my Instagram bio because I'm so darn pleased with the content I publish. The only people I struggle to share it with is my family - they're aware it exists, but I've never told them what it's called or how they can find it. After reading this post, I feel like I could maybe introduce it to them slowly.

    Olivia - The Northernist x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, Olivia! That's great to hear. I'm sure your family will be understanding and be proud of you xx

      Delete
  10. I'm totally the same - I've never hidden my blog because if people can't accept my interests alongside my job or personality then it's their problem, not mine :)

    Jasmine xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so right! I'm well with you xx

      Delete
  11. What a lovely post, I haven't shared my blog because mine is a 'getaway' for me. One day I think it would be nice to share it though. I nominated you for the 'one lovely blog award', if you'd like to check it out the link is below.

    Lauren x Huggled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lauren! I hope you can share it one day. Oh thanks so much lovely that's so kind of you xx

      Delete
  12. I completely get what you are saying! In my case i have kept it a secret because i am afraid of the judgement like you said! But i have been thinking about going public! :P
    I loved your blog by the way!

    Days of Blues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw well I hope this post can encourage you to make that step! Thanks so much xx

      Delete
  13. Wow this opened my eyes!
    I don't talk about my blog because I'm still in college so I'd have to face people daily -also it's not too popular so I think people would laugh at that hah
    Great post though! I loved it!
    -Cait xx
    https://passionatemindblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm sure they wouldn't and if they did then that's their problem! They're ignorant. Thanks so much, Cait xx

      Delete
  14. This is such a positive and uplifting post Lauren! I love your attitude towards blogging. I was always scared of what people thought of my blog when I was younger but as I've grown, I've learned to be proud of my blog and not care what people say about it! Most people who find out about it actually think it's pretty cool, which is even better :) xo

    Hannah | ohhelloitshannah.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, Hannah! That's so great to hear. I'm glad you're proud of your blog (as it's pretty damn fab) and not care what others think. It feels so much better that way, doesn't it?xx

      Delete
  15. Thanks for this post! Sharing my blog on my social media was the hardest step to start blogging ever! Luckily I got such a positive response but now i'm starting to worry my posts are just bothering everyone. This post brought me back down to earth. Thank you!
    Kate || www.katerattley.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally can relate! Once you've shared it on social media, then it's like you really have shared it with the world. Aww I'm sure you're not bothering anyone lovely. Don't ever think that xx

      Delete
  16. I never batted a eye lash towards telling people I blog. I do find it funny trying to explain it at time. Blogging, even beauty blogging is so versatile so it's hard to hammer down a specific definition as there are all sorts of posts one can make.

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I totally know what you mean! The beauty blogging world is huge xx

      Delete
  17. I still keep it under wraps, it's not a secret at all. It's all over my social media and I don't actively hide it I just prefer not to discuss it. I guess it's just personal preference, I tell the people who I know care, support and appreciate me. Thanks for sharing, it's nice to hear how others balance blogging with their daily lives, it would be cool if I was more open about it so I will endeavour to try and own it more. Have a great weekend xxx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw but that's still totally fine! I think that's great that you don't keep it a secret, but prefer to keep it to yourself. Like you said it is all about personal preference and it's good you can share it with those who love you. I hope you can open up more though in your own time :) there's no rush! Thank you sweetie xx

      Delete
  18. I felt the exact same way before I started my blog. I was always scared that people would judge me, to be honest I was even scared of my friends seeing it because I was so worried they would talk behind my back. In the end I thought "who cares?" and started it anyway! I love my blog now and although it's not the most popular, I enjoy putting posts up and my friends have been so supportive! Xox
    Www.thedarkeowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I felt the same when starting my blog, the one I have at the moment was a fresh start actually when I decided it was too hard to hide that I blog (considering I used the family camera). I'm now pretty open with it, not straight forwardly but will not worry about it slipping into a conversation if someone brings it up. Lovely post xx

    Sophie's Spot

    ReplyDelete
  20. My blog is still fairly new, I have shared it with close family but haven't gone further than that. I am thinking of sharing it to my instagram - once I have alot more content, a design that I am happy with and I am planning on getting a domain name and possibly migrating to WordPress - Have you ever thought about migrating or have any thoughts on it?

    ReplyDelete